Monday, October 27, 2008

ipod article

I thought that the idea behind his article was very interesting. I think that using an ipod for learning has its upsides and downsides. I think that this is a positive learning tool in that it is a great way to get information to students in a way that may make them learn and retain information easier. The idea that you could listen to your class while in your car or at home on your ipod is great. I also think that teaching methods must keep up with the times and ipods are definetly a fixture in society today. I am always seeing people with their ipods on and I can't think of someone I know that doesnt have an ipod, even my mother has one ! The disadvantages I can see with this type of teaching is that in some areas people may not be able to afford ipods. If this was to become part of a class would schools be providing ipods for students to use during that class? Also, technology is great but sometimes it can turn on you. If something happens and you cant send a file or a site is not working it can cause alot of problems for students and teachers. I am also concerned with teachers having to take alot of time for students to understand how to use all of this technology. It make take students awhile to become confident enough with using these ippod features and learning how to send files and record themselves. Just reading the article all of the technological stuff was starting to make my head spin a little. But I do think that this is an innovative way of teaching for some and can benefit students who would prefer a more technological method of learning.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Well said Amanda.

Dr. Luongo said...

Amanda, you asked, "If this was to become part of a class would schools be providing ipods for students to use during that class?"

Great question....

Does anyone have any ideas of how a school could obtain funding for this venture?

Taran said...

To Prof. Luongo's question...and I am providing my own idea--especially since I am not a teacher yet and am pretty unfamiliar with school budgeting. Couldn't the principal find the $ in the budget and make the "ipod" learning an entire school learning event? For example, in an elementary school, assume students were given the ipod in 1st grade and were required to keep it until they graduated that school. Then they would either a)turn it in for the next cycle of kids to use OR b) bring it with them to the next level of schooling, assuming they will be staying within the same school district.

Another idea--couldn't someone apply for a grant? (Not exactly sure how grants work in schools, but I know it's funding for learning, so wouldn't this apply?)

tmccloskey10 said...

I haven't been able to read the article yet, but after reading your write up I have the idea of it. I think the money aspect is the biggest concern. It sounds like a great idea and I don't doubt the students excitement they would have for it, but with the economy the way it is now, money is the issue. Grants are a big way to get extra money for ideas like this one. I still talk to some of my college professors and they are always writing grants. The money is out there, it's just the process. It takes time and effort from a few people. I'll see if I can find some info on quality grants and post them on my blog. Technology in the classroom and keeping up with the times can no doubt be one of your best resources. It draws in the attention of the students and without their attention, there isn't much you can do.

Talk to you all later.

Tommy McCloskey